Okay, so your heart is set on the nomadic lifestyle. That's great. But first, what is digital nomad? Digital nomad means you can work from anywhere in the world. When You’re a ‘Digital Nomad,’ the World Is Your Office.
Living as a digital nomad, you’re able to see incredible places, learn from different cultures, and work when or where you want to — true freedom.
How to be a digital nomad?
- Going solo. This means that you quit your job and transfer your current work online. This scenario works best for consultants (any type), teachers/tutors, lawyers, accountants, etc.
- Get a job that teaches you the skills you need to know. If you’re young and in no real hurry to become a digital nomad immediately, a good way to get started would be to get a job at a company that will teach you the skills to work online. This is a great way of getting paid to learn. If you apply for a job at an Online Marketing agency, for example, you’ll learn many skills that are perfect to become a digital nomad one day.
- Market and advertise your services. If you’re a total beginner in the field, you would need to show samples or previous experience on your portfolio or work profile. The best way to go about this is to offer your services for free at first in order to get some feedback/testimonials that would beef up your CV. (If offering it for free is too much, you can of course offer your work towards a client at a discount.)
- Decide on a destination. You need to decide on an ideal destination as a digital nomad. Where will you go? What will the cost of living be in that destination? How much will it cost you to rent an apartment or eat out at a restaurant? It's important to not only decide on the destination, but also prepare yourself a budget based on that destination.
- Finding Accommodation. Booking.com is the best hotel & hostel search engine I’ve found for locating short-term accommodation. It’s really easy to use. Airbnb.com is where most digital nomads go if they want to rent a local apartment for a month or two. More convenient than local classified ads. Coliving.com is a site that specializes in sharing long-term accommodation with other digital nomads around the world.
WHAT TO PREPARE?Financials
Securing a travel fund is a given but other than that, it’s important to figure out how your clients can pay you while you’re out traveling the world. If PayPal is needed, go set it up, connect it to your bank account or card, and so on. Personally though, I prefer using TransferWise because it has lower conversion and transfer fees compared to PayPal.
TIP: It helps to have copies of your work portfolio on hand as well as bank statements and any other work-related documents if in case the immigration asks for it.Reduce Current Spending
Now you should check what you spend every week or every month and try to save whatever you can. Start with regular expenses, such as rent or electricity. Could you maybe move to a smaller apartment or rent out an empty room? What about things like Netflix or your gym membership: Do you really need that or could you live without it?
Next, try to reduce your impulsive expenses. Coffee to go every morning at the coffee shop adds up quickly. The cute dress on sale might be cheap, but do you really need it? I know this is very hard for some of you but try your best to live as frugal as possible. Because the sooner you have enough savings, the sooner you can start your digital nomad life.Be Organized
When you work a remote job, it is vital that you have good organisational skills. You will be responsible for your own schedule, working times, breaks, payments, taxes, and everything else associated. If you struggle with being organised use Google Calendar to track everything. Or use a free project management tool such as Asana or Trello.
If you really want to work and travel the most important thing right now is to TAKE ACTION and start to work for that goal. If you take one step at a time and always keep in mind that your ultimate goal should be to not just become a digital nomad but create a 100% location independent business so you can return home whenever you want, you're going to have the time of your life.